How Do You Use Experience to Grow? Walter Escobar Shares His Story
In This Episode
- Greg explains to Dave how he met Walter during a social venture event for entrepreneurs in West Bronx, New York, at the Andrew Friedman Home during a social venture event for entrepreneurs.
- Walter explains how important it is to help others with an incarceration experience and help them change their habits and embrace entrepreneurship.
- He explains the story of his business, Pen & Pistol, which was started by him and his partner Ralphy Dominguez.
- He explains their skills with leather craft Ralphy learned in prison and how they’re making a profit off of it with their business now.
Co-Founder of Pens & Pistols
- Walter Escobar, operates his business with his partner Ralphy Dominguez in West Bronx in New York.
- Ralphy left prison with nothing but a new skill and a powerful yearning for the dignity that comes from building a business.
- Today, Walter, Ralphy, and team hand make minimal leather accessories like wallets, cardholders, bracelets, belts, etc.
- Their products are made from repurposed leather that would otherwise end up in a landfill.
- Their main mission is to hire former felons and inspire them to create a positive road for themselves despite past criminal experience.