The Badge of Awesome
Introducing Josh Martin
Sometimes the knocks that life throws at us are the pivot point to a better way. Josh Martin knows all about this. At 27 years old, Josh was diagnosed with leukemia and given a 50/50 chance at survival. One of the first nights in hospital for his chemo treatments, Josh started to compile a list—his reasons to fight. The list was a combination of items that made his life awesome and the stream of consciousness quickly developed into 118 items.
The experience with cancer also ignited Josh’s aspirations. He wanted to chase his dreams and do what he was passionate about. To Josh, this was story telling. He left his job as a project coordinator with an international development organization to chase his dream, become an entrepreneur, and write. Now Josh is also a motivational speaker and the creator of Badge of Awesome.com.
Take the time to listen to this week’s episode of the Boiling Point to be inspired to take your next step toward the person YOU want to be.
In this episode
- Dave tells us how he came across Josh by chance.
- Josh tells us about Badge of Awesome and the type of humorous and advice content it has.
- Josh tells us about his “wake-up call” from cancer and how it inspired him to follow his passions.
- Greg mentions how many of his friends are also in “early mid-life crisis” mode.
- Josh offers us a great thought from Martin Luther King Jr. about taking the first step.
- He also reminds us that we don’t need to have a “near death” experience to make positive changes in our life.
- Josh tells us that we should all take time and space to reflect and gives hints for building a tribe.
- He also tells us about his simple treasures project.
- Dave reflects on how certain experiences drive change and how the bumps in the road in life can be made into something positive.
- Greg echoes that crisis can allow for amazing changes and that you don’t need to know your destination but just have to take the first step.